Can architects change the world?

source

Dear Mies,

Someone recently asked me in an interview what was my dream job.
I think my answer was: "A job where my work can help people, and improve in some way their life." To my surprise, the interviewer looked at me funny and then he said: "I guess you are not an architect at your core". There was a huge silence. I was completely shocked: "What do you mean?" I replied. "You know... " he said, "architects are meant to draw and built houses. That´s the essence of a good architect."
I couldn´t believe what I was hearing, this person is a complete idiot, I thought. At this point I stopped listening to him, his words didn´t have any value for me and there was no point in arguing with someone so ignorant and with such low respect for architecture.
What about Niemeyer or  Le Corbusier? What about Barragán or Kahn or any worth mentioning architect? or even Renaissance´s architects?  Did they just draw and solve housing designs? Or did they think about the way people live, and try to do something about it, to improve their lives. Transforming the status quo, pushing the human race forward.
I want to believe that´s there's something more to architecture. What do you think? Can architects change the world?

Comentarios

Entradas populares