The Internship

Young Architect experience
Dear Mies,

A few years ago, I did my first internship. I´ve just finished University and these were my first steps in the working environment. I was excited. I was fortunate enough to start in a place that I admired deeply.

I remember that first day: The rain started to fall down gently as I stared at the window hoping for the best. I took the overcrowded subway and head to a modern office downtown. I arrived with time to spare but my heart beating loudly. I got on the elevator and seconds became minutes: “Just breathe” I thought. The elevator stopped and after ringing the bell the door opened: “Welcome”, they said. As I walked towards the entry I saw this small big world and calmed down.

In front of my eyes: double-height ceilings, people talking on the phone, walking, eating, working. All of them greeted me warmly and I felt better. Luckily, my colleagues were friendly and kind yet the first days I was worried and frightened. Why was I so afraid?

Over time I gained self-confidence and the fear faded away. After several months I learnt priceless lessons but perhaps the most significant are the following:

1)      Ask for it. If you want something to happen in your life just ask for it. It may work out or it won´t but put yourself out there and hustle till you get it. Knock some doors and introduce yourself, that´s how I get my first internship.

2)      Small things matter. It´s actually the small things that tend to add up in a big way like being, proactive, optimist, supportive, kind, hardworking. These things will take you far.

3)      Mistakes are actually the best teacher.

4)      To be grateful: there are thousands of people who would kill for that internship, that job.  Of course, not everything is sunshine and rainbows but you have to be grateful to be given this opportunity and try to take the most of it.

5)      To enjoy it: It´s important to grow professionally and gain experience but that means nothing if it makes you miserable. Look out for things that speak to your soul and appreciate the small things in life, from SANAA ´s architecture to your colleague’s lunch stories of his boy band years. Like Niemeyer said: “Life is more important than architecture.




 Querido Mies,

Algunos años atrás realicé mi primera pasantía. Terminaba la facultad y este era mi primer paso en el mundo laboral. Estaba feliz. Tuve la suerte de empezar en un lugar que admiraba hacia mucho.

Ese primer día llovía fuertemente. Me tomé el subte colmado de personas y me dirigí hacia una moderna oficina en el barrio de Palermo. Llegué, con tiempo de sobra pero mi corazón latía más rápido que de costumbre. Tomé el ascensor y los segundos se convirtieron minutos: “Relájate”, pensé. El ascensor se detuvo y al poco tiempo de tocar el timbre, la puerta se abrió: “Bienvenida”, me dijeron. Al atravesar la puerta y ver ese pequeño gran mundo me calmé.

Ante mis ojos un amplio espacio en doble altura, personas hablando por teléfono, caminando, trabajando, comiendo. Todos me saludaron cálidamente y me sentí mejor. Tuve suerte, las personas en ese lugar fueron muy generosas y amables conmigo sin embargo los primeros días sentí miedo y preocupación ¿Por qué tenía tanto miedo?

Con el tiempo fui ganado confianza y el miedo fue desapareciendo. Después de varios meses adquirí muchos conocimientos y herramientas de mi profesión, pero quizás las más valiosas fueron las siguientes:

   1)     Movete. No te quedes de brazos cruzados hasta que se te aparezca la oportunidad. No tengas vergüenza puede que resulte o no. Salí de tu casa, conoce gente y preséntate. Así fue como conseguí mi primera pasantía.

2)      Se necesita de poco para realizar algo grande. La dar los primeros pasos uno se siente desesperado por demostrar todo lo que sabe, lo que vale. Pero pequeñas cosas como ser puntual todos los días, proactivo, optimista, amable pueden llevarte muy lejos.

3)      No hay nada que enseñe más que equivocarse.

4)      Tener un corazón agradecido: miles de personas matarían por tener ese trabajo, esa pasantía. Obvio no todo es color de rosas y problemas van a surgir en el camino pero hay que estar agradecido de la oportunidad recibida e intentar aprender lo más posible.

5)      Disfrutar. Es importante crecer profesionalmente y ganar experiencia pero de nada sirve si te hace sentir miserable. Buscá las cosas que te apasionen y disfrutá de las pequeñas cosas, desde el nuevo edificio de SANAA hasta el compañero que te alegra el almuerzo mostrándote viejos videos de su boyband. Como dijo el gran Niemeyer: “La vida siempre me pareció más importante que la arquitectura.”

Comentarios

Entradas populares